Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Liar's Key

The Red Queen has set her players on the board...

Winter is keeping Prince Jalan Kendeth far from the longed-for luxuries of his southern palace. And although the North may be home to his companion, the warrior Snorri ver Snagason, he is just as eager to leave. For the Viking is ready to challenge all of Hell to bring his wife and children back into the living world. He has Loki’s key – now all he needs is to find the door.

As all wait for the ice to unlock its jaws, the Dead King plots to claim what was so nearly his – the key to the underworld -- so that his dead subjects can rise and rule.



I do not remember buying this book. 

I have no idea how it has sat on my shelf unread since the day of its publishing, but somehow it has eluded me...

I had actually gone online last week to purchase The Liar's Key to finally continue The Red Queen's War series, and for some reason the cover just struck me as too familiar. I know I have seen it before, obviously I knew what the book looked like, but it felt like I had seen it all too recently, and in person.

And lo and behold, it was sitting on my bookshelf!

I have been in a horrible book slump the last few weeks since finishing Kangaroo Too and knowing it will be at least a year until the next installment of that series... And The Liar's Key was exactly what I needed.

Jalan is so different from typical main characters. He's not a hero, though he does like to pretend to be, and pretty much everything he does is by accident. I have no idea how he maintains any positive reputation with all the stupid shit he pulls, but the man has shear dumb luck on his side.

It's strange seeing as how Jalan is everything I hate in people, and yet just when he's pushed me to the edge and made me wish someone would just teach him to grow up, he does something hopeful and I want to take his side all over again.

It's a pretty abusively love hate relationship with this character, but dammit, I want the lying, self obsessed bastard to succeed.

Mark Lawrence has a way of moving the story quickly without any u necessary information so the book covers a lot of space and time. At times it felt a bit off putting, like something was missing... But at the same time it felt right so overall I have no quarrels with the flow of the story.

This is a really enjoyable read, especially if you have some built up anger that you need to direct at someone. Jalan is the perfect therapeutic target.


About the Author
Mark Lawrence was born in Champagne-Urbanan, Illinois, to British parents but moved to the UK at the age of one. He went back to the US after taking a PhD in mathematics at Imperial College to work on a variety of research projects including the ‘Star Wars’ missile defence programme. Returning to the UK, he has worked mainly on image processing and decision/reasoning theory. He says he never had any ambition to be a writer so was very surprised when a half-hearted attempt to find an agent turned into a global publishing deal overnight. His first trilogy, THE BROKEN EMPIRE, has been universally acclaimed as a ground-breaking work of fantasy. Following The Broken Empire comes the bestselling RED QUEEN’S WAR trilogy. The BOOK OF THE ANCESTOR trilogy, in an entirely new setting, commences with RED SISTER in 2017. Mark is married, with four children, and lives in Bristol.

Mark Lawrence is currently hosting the #SPFBO competition that you can keep up with on his blog, on twitter, or through any of the various bloggers and authors involved!

Connect with Mark Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment